Oskar Nerlinger, The Last Exit, 1930
Oskar Nerlinger (1893-1969) studied at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Straßburg (1908-1912) and at the Kunstgewerbemuseum in Berlin (1912-1915) under Emil Orlik and Emil Rudolf Weiß. In 1921 he started working for the art magazin Der Sturm (The Storm). In 1928 Nerlinger joined the Communist Party of Germany (KPD). After the Nazis seized power in 1933 Nerlinger couldn't exhibit anymore.
Oskar Nerlinger, Train of Barges under the Bridge, 1931
After the war Nerlinger became professor at the Hochschule für Bildende Künste in Berlin-Charlottenburg (1945-1951). Together with Karl Hofer, Nerlinger edited the art magazine Bildende Kunst (1947-1949). In 1955 Nerlinger was appointed professor at the Kunsthochschule Berlin-Weißensee, where he teached until 1958.
Oskar Nerlinger, Berlin City Train, 1930